Simbad Help ⋅
Last modification: July , 2007
You will find below some information about this release since october, 2006.
If you have comments or questions, please feel free to send a mail to
1. SIMBAD4: a new SIMBAD release
The current Simbad database and software release is running since 1990.
Several considerations, including VO developments, the need for new features,
better evolution possibilities, leaded to develop from scratch a new release
of the Simbad database and software.
The new software is entirely developped in Java language. The database system
SIMBAD4 is distributed on three biprocessor PCs, running 1. the PostgreSQL
database, 2. the SIMBAD main server application and 3. the web access tools
apache, tomcat/axis and the simbad servlets and web services.
2. New Data
Provision is made in Simbad4 for new data:
- Any number of magnitudes and fluxes will possibly be stored with every object.
After B & V magnitudes, wich are already in Simbad3, we added U, R, I, J, H and K
magnitudes. And others in the AB system : u,g,r,i,z.
SEDs construction from photometry in Vizier is also provided.
- Every astronomical object has the possibility to have several object types coming from identifiers
(and so are only for information).
- Hierarchical links for multiple systems, galaxy clusters, are also available.
- As they will appear, other bibliographic indexes, like
DOI, will be availaible and queryable, along with the
Simbad Help ⋅