SIMBAD references

2006ApJ...638L..67L - Astrophys. J., 638, L67-L70 (2006/February-3)

Identification of two categories of optically bright gamma-ray bursts.

LIANG E. and ZHANG B.

Abstract (from CDS):

We present the results of a systematic analysis of the intrinsic optical afterglow light curves for a complete sample of gamma-ray bursts (GRBs) observed in the period from 1997 February to 2005 August. These light curves are generally well sampled, with at least four detections in the R band. The redshifts of all the bursts in the sample are available. We derive the intrinsic R-band afterglow light curves (luminosity vs. time within the cosmic proper rest frame) for these GRBs and discover that they essentially follow two universal tracks beyond 2 hours after the GRBs triggered. The optical luminosities at 1 day show a clear bimodal distribution, peaking at 1.4x1046 ergs/s for the luminous group and 5.3x1044 ergs/s for the dim group. About 75% of the GRBs are in the luminous group, and the other 25% belong to the dim group. While the luminous group has a widely distributed range of redshifts, the bursts in the dim group all appear at redshifts lower than 1.1.

Abstract Copyright:

Journal keyword(s): Gamma Rays: Bursts - Gamma Rays: Observations - Methods: Statistical

Simbad objects: 43

goto Full paper

goto View the reference in ADS

To bookmark this query, right click on this link: simbad:2006ApJ...638L..67L and select 'bookmark this link' or equivalent in the popup menu


2019.11.15-07:19:44

© Université de Strasbourg/CNRS

    • Contact