SIMBAD references

2016ApJ...831...20B - Astrophys. J., 831, 20-20 (2016/November-1)

C/O and Mg/Si ratios of stars in the solar neighborhood.

BREWER J.M. and FISCHER D.A.

Abstract (from CDS):

The carbon-to-oxygen ratio in a protoplanetary disk can have a dramatic influence on the compositions of any terrestrial planets formed. In regions of high C/O, planets form primarily from carbonates, and in regions of low C/O, the ratio of magnesium to silicon determines the types of silicates that dominate the compositions. We present C/O and Mg/Si ratios for 852 F, G, and K dwarfs in the solar neighborhood. We find that the frequency of carbon-rich dwarfs in the solar neighborhood is <0.13% and that 156 known planet hosts in the sample follow a similar distribution as all of the stars as a whole. The cosmic distribution of Mg/Si for these same stars is broader than the C/O distribution and peaks near 1.0, with ∼60% of systems having 1 \leqslant Mg/Si < 2, leading to rocky planet compositions similar to the Earth. This leaves 40% of systems that can have planets that are silicate-rich and that may have very different compositions than our own.

Abstract Copyright: © 2016. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.

Journal keyword(s): stars: abundances - stars: solar-type - stars: statistics - stars: statistics

VizieR on-line data: <Available at CDS (J/ApJ/831/20): table1.dat>

Errata: erratum vol. 840, art. 121 (2017)

Status in Simbad:  being processed

Simbad objects: 11

goto Full paper

goto View the reference in ADS

To bookmark this query, right click on this link: simbad:2016ApJ...831...20B and select 'bookmark this link' or equivalent in the popup menu


2019.09.23-05:55:38

© Université de Strasbourg/CNRS

    • Contact