SIMBAD references

2019MNRAS.489.1880H - Mon. Not. R. Astron. Soc., 489, 1880-1898 (2019/October-3)

Simulating star clusters across cosmic time - I. Initial mass function, star formation rates, and efficiencies.

HE C.-C., RICOTTI M. and GEEN S.

Abstract (from CDS):

We present radiation-magneto-hydrodynamic simulations of star formation in self-gravitating, turbulent molecular clouds, modelling the formation of individual massive stars, including their UV radiation feedback. The set of simulations have cloud masses between mgas = 103 M and 3 x 105 M and gas densities typical of clouds in the local Universe (_ gas_ ∼1.8×10^2 cm–3) and 10x and 100x denser, expected to exist in high-redshift galaxies. The main results are as follows. (i) The observed Salpeter power-law slope and normalization of the stellar initial mass function at the high-mass end can be reproduced if we assume that each star-forming gas clump (sink particle) fragments into stars producing on average a maximum stellar mass about 40 per cent of the mass of the sink particle, while the remaining 60 per cent is distributed into smaller mass stars. Assuming that the sinks fragment according to a power-law mass function flatter than Salpeter, with log-slope 0.8, satisfy this empirical prescription. (ii) The star formation law that best describes our set of simulation is dρ_*/ d_t ∝ρ_ gas_1.5 if _ gas_< n_ cri_~10^3 cm–3, and dρ_*/ d_t ∝ρ_ gas_2.5 otherwise. The duration of the star formation episode is roughly six cloud's sound crossing times (with cs = 10 km s–1). (iii) The total star formation efficiency in the cloud is f_*=2 per cent_ (m_ gas/104∼M☉)0.4(1+\overlinen_{ gas}/n cri_)0.91, for gas at solar metallicity, while for metallicity Z < 0.1 Z, based on our limited sample, f* is reduced by a factor of ∼5. (iv) The most compact and massive clouds appear to form globular cluster progenitors, in the sense that star clusters remain gravitationally bound after the gas has been expelled.

Abstract Copyright: © 2019 The Author(s) Published by Oxford University Press on behalf of the Royal Astronomical Society

Journal keyword(s): stars: formation - stars: luminosity function, mass function - ISM: clouds - H ii regions - globular clusters: general - galaxies: high-redshift - galaxies: star clusters: general - galaxies: star formation

Simbad objects: 2

goto Full paper

goto View the reference in ADS

To bookmark this query, right click on this link: simbad:2019MNRAS.489.1880H and select 'bookmark this link' or equivalent in the popup menu


2021.03.02-10:56:34

© Université de Strasbourg/CNRS

    • Contact