SIMBAD references

2020ApJ...905..107M - Astrophys. J., 905, 107-107 (2020/December-3)

Flare rates, rotation periods, and spectroscopic activity indicators of a volume-complete sample of mid- to late-M dwarfs within 15 pc.

MEDINA A.A., WINTERS J.G., IRWIN J.M. and CHARBONNEAU D.

Abstract (from CDS):

We present a study of flare rates, rotation periods, and spectroscopic activity indicators of 125 single stars within 15 parsecs and with masses between 0.1 and 0.3 M observed during the first year of the TESS mission, with the goal of elucidating the relationship between these various magnetically connected phenomena. We gathered multiepoch high-resolution spectra of each target, and we measured equivalent widths of the activity indicators helium I D3, Hα, and the calcium infrared triplet line at 8542.09 Å. We present 18 new rotation periods from MEarth photometry and 19 new rotation periods from TESS photometry. We present a catalog of 1392 flares. After correcting for sensitivity, we find the slope of the flare frequency distribution for all stars to have a standard value of α = 1.98 ± 0.02. We determine R31.5, the rate of flares per day with energies above E = 3.16 x 1031 ergs in the TESS bandpass. We find that below a critical value of Hα EW = -0.71 Å, log R31.5 increases linearly with increasing Hα emission; above this value, log R31.5 declines rapidly. The stars divide into two groups: 26% have Hα in emission, high flare rates with typical values of log R31.5 = -1.30 ± 0.08, and have Rossby numbers <0.50. The remaining 74% show little to no Hα in emission and exhibit log R31.5 < -3.86, with the majority of these stars not showing a single flare during the TESS observations.

Abstract Copyright: © 2020. The American Astronomical Society. All rights reserved.

Journal keyword(s): Stellar activity - Stellar rotation - Stellar flares

Status at CDS : Large table(s) will be appraised for possible ingestion in VizieR.

Simbad objects: 26

goto Full paper

goto View the reference in ADS

To bookmark this query, right click on this link: simbad:2020ApJ...905..107M and select 'bookmark this link' or equivalent in the popup menu


2021.03.03-22:45:24

© Université de Strasbourg/CNRS

    • Contact