Query : 1999A&A...348..768P

1999A&A...348..768P - Astronomy and Astrophysics, volume 348, 768-782 (1999/8-3)

The nuclear bulge. I. K band observations of the central 30pc.


Abstract (from CDS):

Out of ∼500 individual source images we have constructed a mosaic map of the K band surface brightness in an area ΔαxΔδ∼650"x710" (Requiv∼15.8pc for R0=8.5kpc) centered approximately on Sgr A*. An observing technique was used which allows us to recover an extended background emission. To separate sources from an unresolved background continuum we fitted Lorentzian distributions to the sources and find that about one half of an integrated, not dereddened K band flux density of 752Jy is contributed by ∼6x104 stars with flux densities SK'>100µJy and the remainder is contributed by an extended continuum provided by about 6x108 stars too weak to be observed as individual sources. We estimate that >80% of the integrated flux density of the mosaic is contributed by stars in the Nuclear Bulge (NB; R≲300pc); the remaining ≲20% come from stars located along the line of sight in the Galactic Bulge (GB; 0.3≲R/kpc≲3) and Galactic Disk (GD; R>3kpc). We determine the K band luminosity functions (KLF) of the mosaic and of subareas dominated by Nuclear Bulge, Galactic Bulge and Disk stars, respectively, and construct difference KLFs which relate to the specific stellar populations of these regions. The detection limit is SK'∼100µJy, for the completeness limit we estimate SK'∼2000µJy. We find that the stellar population of the Nuclear Bulge contains considerably more bright stars (i.e. with reddened K band flux densities SK'>5x103µJy), most of which are probably early O stars, Giants and Supergiants. The stellar population of the Galactic Bulge on the other hand is dominated by stars which appear to be lower mass (≲6M) Main Sequence (MS) stars. A model KLF constructed with a Salpeter Initial Mass Function (IMF) for stars of spectral type O9 or later (SK'≲2000µJy) explains the observations satisfactorily and connects well with the observed KLF of more luminous stars. About 6x108 stars with masses ranging from 0.06 to 6M account for the unresolved continuum. Combining observed and model KLF we obtain a mosaic KLF which increases ∝SK'–1 for 106>SK'/µJy>103 and ∝SK'–0.6 for 103>SK'/µJy>3x10–3. For radii R<15" nearly 90% of the spatially integrated K band flux density comes from resolved sources which represent a relatively young generation of luminous stars. Farther out the contribution of the the unresolved continuum (and hence of low and medium mass MS stars) to the integrated K band flux density increases and attains ∼40% at a distance R∼300". This indicates a deficiency of low-mass stars within the central 30" (∼1.25pc) and a high star formation activity during the past ∼107-108yr. Fitting King profiles to the observed surface brightnesses we derive core radii of ∼7" and ∼30" respectively for resolved and unresolved stars. The mass-to-luminosity ratio of low mass stars in the central 30pc is found to be ∼1M/L. We present and discuss the radio/IR spectrum of the central 30" (∼1.25pc) and derive dust and Lyman continuum (Lyc) luminosities of 7.5x107L and 1.2x1050s–1, respectively.

Abstract Copyright:

Journal keyword(s): stars: luminosity function, mass function - ISM: dust, extinction - Galaxy: center - Galaxy: evolution - Galaxy: stellar content - infrared: stars

Simbad objects: 6

goto View the references in ADS

Number of rows : 6
N Identifier Otype ICRS (J2000)
ICRS (J2000)
Mag U Mag B Mag V Mag R Mag I Sp type #ref
1850 - 2023
1 GCM -0.13 -0.08 MoC 17 45 25.2 -29 05 30           ~ 119 1
2 NAME Sgr A West HII 17 45 39.4 -29 00 24           ~ 370 0
3 GCIRS 7 * 17 45 39.987 -29 00 22.24           M2 365 0
4 NAME Sgr A* X 17 45 40.03599 -29 00 28.1699           ~ 4144 3
5 NAME Sgr A-E Rad 17 45 41.131 -29 04 36.43           ~ 77 0
6 NAME Galactic Bulge reg ~ ~           ~ 4096 0

To bookmark this query, right click on this link: simbad:objects in 1999A&A...348..768P and select 'bookmark this link' or equivalent in the popup menu


© Université de Strasbourg/CNRS

    • Contact